Happy Thanksgiving! Some Quick Tips for Staying Safe During The Holidays
It’s holiday time! Thanksgiving is upon us and there is nothing like family and friends gathering to enjoy and celebrate.
But did you know? Unattended cooking is the number one cause of fires year-round, which triple on Thanksgiving Day, to an average of 1,630 NATIONALLY, compared to the 470 on a typical day. Additionally, overused electrical extension cords account for 3,330 fires annually!
To stay safe from cooking fires this Thanksgiving, consider the following precautions:
- Don’t leave anything cooking on the stovetop while no one is home or tending the kitchen.
- Keep at least one working fire extinguisher in the house.
- Make sure all smoke detectors are working.
- Replace all frayed or worn electrical cords to prevent potential sparks.
- Do not overuse electrical extension cords by connecting them to more extension cords
For additional cooking safety tips, check out the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) website.
This year, many of us are planning to celebrate Thanksgiving at home with our immediate families, and virtually with loved ones from across the country. We are also sharing with you some Tips from The CDC to keep everyone healthy during Thanksgiving and throughout the entire holiday season:
- Have a small outdoor gathering and limit the number of guests.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Practice physical distancing by staying at least 6 feet away from those who do not live with you.
- Wear a mask as needed and safely store your mask while eating or drinking
At United Agencies, we are committed to delivering safe, clean, and reliable power to your homes every day, especially this holiday season. Please stay safe, and we wish you and your families a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Need Help Insuring Your Home for the Holidays?
A United Agencies representative is standing by happy to help!